Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sitting on the dock of the bay

***I wrote this post over a month ago before my trip out to California. I saved it but forgot to post it, which is why it is barely up now***


I am in Venice today because tomorrow I am flying home.
I am flying from Venice to New York, where I will have a 4 hour layover, and then from JFK to LAX.

I don't know if I have ever mentioned it, I probably have, but I hate flying. 
As in, I freak out on planes and every little noise and bump scares the crap out of me. 

I never used to be this way. 
I used to love flying and then a couple of years ago I had a mini-panic attack on a plane and ever since then I have a very hard time flying. 

I often use some xanax to calm me down during the flight, but I ran out and have none for this time around.
Close to 24 hours of traveling (including layovers and stuff) with no xanax doesn't sound like fun.
I guess it's just time to face my fears. 
Anyway, this post really had nothing to do with my fear of flying!

My dear friend, Andrea, was kind enough to let me stay with him tonight so that I would have an easier time tomorrow. 
We had no plans, which was very nice.
The weather was gorgeous- sunny, not too cold, no wind...perfection.
When I arrived he helped me with my two huge bags. We took them to his place, dropped them off and were on our way.
We walked around for a bit looking for a place to eat, I had not eaten anything and was starving.

We found a nice pizzeria and had a fantastic 2 hour lunch.
Afterwards we walked around and ended up by the docks and I had my first glimpse into what heaven must be like.

We walked all the way out onto a dock, put our stuff down, and I sat with my feet hanging over the edge.
All I could feel was the dock moving with the water.
All I could hear was the water lapping.
I leaned back on my hands and just felt the warmth of the sun on my face....
I ask you friends, what on this earth could be better?
We sat there like that for about an hour probably...

It was one of those moments when you think to yourself
  I am going to want to remember this moment for the rest of my life

We then walked around Venice singing random James Brown songs, or rather he would sing and I would pretend to be the instruments.
He had an appointment, so I sat along the water at a cafe and drank a cappuccino and read for a while.

It was without a doubt an amazing day!
Thank you, Andy-roo! 
(haha, I rhymed without meaning to)

No comments: